Supporting Trans Actors & Creatives: Feb 17-18, 2021
Facilitated by actor Maybe Burke, this 10-hour course is designed for cisgender producers, directors, and other artistic leaders that want to create more affirming and supportive work environments for your trans and non-binary colleagues. If you want to make sure you’re doing the best that you can for the trans/non-binary creatives you work with, on stage/screen and beyond, this course is here to help you. We will spend two days clarifying terminology, discussing representation and casting, and learning common challenges that trans and non-binary people face in the industry.
By the end of the course, participants will be able to more confidently address problematic and/or transphobic behavior in cisgender colleagues while directly supporting and affirming trans and non-binary ones.
Our goals are for participants to:
- Have a strong understanding of transgender related terminology, as well as language to avoid.
- Acknowledge common hurdles transgender actors face, and have stronger tools to address those problems.
- Understand the key components, nuances and responsibilities that come with being an ally for transgender and non-binary communities.
- Be aware of common tropes in trans and non-binary characters, and the damaging narratives that have been perpetuated.
- Experience greater comfort and ease with asking for affirming name and pronouns, and correcting others when they misname or misgender a transgender or non-binary person.
- Have more tools and skills to interrupt microaggressions, bias, and prejudice towards transgender and non-binary individuals.
- Be more confident when advocating for transgender and non-binary individuals, both personally and professionally.
Sliding Scale Rates:
We want folks who want to attend to be able to do so, regardless of economic constraints, while also making sure that we are operating in accordance with our values of paying our trainers fairly for their time, energy and lived experiences, while using sustainable business practices. (Please see our blog post here for a deeper dive into how we selected our sliding scale structure.) The full cost of attendance is $150 per person. We set aside a certain number of Sliding Scale spaces, but when folks who can afford to pay more do (Benefactors), we are able to use the difference in price to make another sliding scale seat available to those in need at this or a future offering. Please see our guide here before picking a payment level, or use our handy graphic to help determine your registration level.
- $150-$350 – 15+ seats available (Full Price [$150] & Benefactor levels [$200, $250, $300, $350])
- $50 – 3 seats available (Sliding Scale)
- $100 – 3 seats available (Sliding Scale)