We know that lives are currently complicated, and that it can be hard to commit to a course or hire someone for a training when so much is unknown and changing quickly. We want our participants to be able to access our teaching in ways and at times that are positive for their learning, so we are taking a flexible approach.
Here’s how we are currently handling things:
Training & Course Logistics:
- We will not hold in-person Ally/Advocate Training Camp or Training-of-Trainers courses until it feels reasonably safe to do so. We know that many of our participants are at high risk or have loved ones who are, and while we are so looking forward to being back in person with folks, we want to do so when it can be more celebratory. At the current time, our next in-person course is scheduled for April 2021, and we will revisit that and other 2021 dates as time passes.
- Our team is ready to facilitate interactive and engaging virtual trainings for your audiences. We are offering both shorter sessions, as well as day long and multi-day trainings. We are also offering our such as our onsite Training-of-Trainers in a 5 day/5 hours a day virtual format, and Ally/Advocate Training Camps in a 3 day/5 hours a day virtual format. Our onsite courses are always customized for your group and the audiences/individuals you work with.
- TTI is considering in-person training requests on a case-by-case basis, particularly for those potentially in early 2021 or beyond. We will prepare both in-person and online versions of our trainings for any future in-person trainings booked.
For our courses:
- No one will be required to take an online training if they don’t want to. If you sign up for an in-person session that moves online, you may postpone your in-person attendance to a future date for as long as is needed until you are able to attend.
- We continue to offer payment plans for those who need to spread the costs out over time. Contact Kelsey to work out a payment plan. In some instances, we may be able to offer sliding scale registrations on a limited basis.
- If you sign up for a course and your situation changes so that you cannot attend, we will happily switch you to a future course or issue a gift card good for any of our courses through the end of 2021.
- For those requesting refunds, Eventbrite keeps their fee, so you will see that deducted from the total. If course materials have already shipped, there will be an additional $100 cancellation fee applied to cover those costs. (This is just to make sure that we are covering our costs.)
- We design our online courses specifically so that we are using a variety of teaching methods, engagement strategies and supportive technology to help ensure that our online courses closely mirror our in-person sessions.
- We understand that being online, especially with video on, can be tiring on people’s spirits and bodies. We have crafted our online courses with the goal of having consistent breaks for time to move away from the screen, and opportunities for cameras off.
- We know that navigating new online technologies can be challenging, so we are offering pre-class tech practice sessions, where you will hop on a Zoom call with one of our team members and have a chance to practice all of the elements that we will be using in class. (We hope to also have a screencast option available soon.)
- We know that having tangible anchors can be especially helpful for learning online. For our online Training-of-Trainers and Ally/Advocate Training Camps, we are mailing our participants our course folders that we utilize throughout our course time together.
We are working to balance making our courses accessible to as many as we can, while still paying our team members fairly for their time, energy and lived experiences and keeping TTI’s bills paid. Here is our current approach:
- We are making all of our new webinar series Pay What You Can. When you register for one of our webinars on Eventbrite, you will be asked to make a “donation” in an amount of your choosing. We know that choosing your own price can be nervous-making, so we have provided suggested donation ranges. All of the funds generated from these webinars go to our team members (70% for the facilitator, 30% for the support team).
- Our Ally/Advocate Training Camp remains sliding scale.
- We have converted our 2020 TOT scholarship program into a waitlist offering. Our scholarship program will resume in 2021. In the meantime, we are offering our 2020 scholarship applicants the opportunity to attend one of our courses at the scholarship rate when we have unsold seats or cancellations.