Ally/Advocate Training Camp
June 26-27, 2o18, Philadelphia, PA
Co-facilitated by Daniel Fernandez & Tara Johnson
Want to be a better ally or advocate for transgender and non-binary individuals? Come join us for TTI’s first ever Ally/Advocate Training Camp (ATC)! This two-day class helps participants increase their transgender-related knowledge and provides opportunities to practice the key skills needed by allies to be effective advocates. Whether you have a family member who has recently come out to you as transgender or non-binary, you want to better support a friend or loved one who is transitioning, are seeking to be a more effective ally in the workplace or you just want to be better informed, ATC will help build your knowledge and skills to be a better ally and advocate!
Our Ally/Advocate Training Camp helps participants:
- Have a better understanding of what it is like to be transgender or non-binary, and the related opportunities and challenges
- Explore the coming out processes for transgender and non-binary people, and how to best be of support as an ally
- Have a strong understanding of transgender related terminology, as well as language to avoid
- Understand the ways in which gender restrictions impact people of all gender identities and expressions
- Understand the key components, nuances and responsibilities that come with being an ally for transgender and non-binary communities
- Experience greater comfort and ease with asking for affirming name and pronouns, and correcting others when they misname or misgender a transgender or non-binary person.
- Having more tools and skills to interrupt microaggressions, bias and prejudice towards transgender and non-binary individuals
- Be more confident when advocating for transgender and non-binary individuals, both personally and professionally.
- Be familiar with the resources available for transgender and non-binary individuals, and their loved ones.
- Have a better understanding of how to engage in local, state and national advocacy for the rights of transgender and non-binary individuals
The cost of attendance for this two day class is $300, which includes lunch from local businesses on each of the training days, snacks and beverages throughout the course, access to the TTI Alumni private Facebook group, and a contribution to the scholarship fund to help support individuals who would not otherwise be able to attend the training. We also offer a $50 discount for current students/early career professionals who have completed their degrees in the past 2 years and are not being reimbursed by an organization for the cost of attendance. (Please note that proof of enrollment or graduation may be requested). ATC is open to anyone over the age of 16, but anyone under the age of 18 must be accompanied by an adult. A limited number of scholarships and sliding scale seats are available — please see our scholarship application for details and to apply. (Link coming soon).
Payment can be made through Paypal at the registration link below. If you need an invoice or would prefer to send a check, please email us and we will send one over. Once you have completed your payment, you will be directed to a participant survey to finalize your attendance.
If you are coming in from out of town, please email us and we will send you our housing list, which includes all of our recommended options, including trans-affirming AirBnB’s within walking distance to our training space, the local LGBTQ owned and run Bed and Breakfast, and hotels located nearby.
Our next class will be held: June 26-27, 2018 in West Philadelphia, PA. Registration for this course will launch on May 1st.